Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

RE: rear for 81 spider

Dwight Varnes <xmxbreed@domain.elided> wrote:

>> Hi all, I'm looking for a rear end center section for a '81 Fiat =
>> Spider. It needs to be a drop in and go, good condition unit. It's for a =
>> friend who isn't connected to the Internet. If you have or know of one =
>> please let me know.
>
>Sorry, but it ain't possible. You either need the whole axle, or have to
>have the ring and pinion professionally installed as separate parts.
>There is no removable center section unless the car was backdated to an
>earlier axle.

I'm confused here. I was reading Chris Obert's guide to installing ring and
pinion units and afterwards got confused even more.

When I first read this note, I was under the impression he was talking about
the piece of sheet metal below the rear bumper and never thought of a
mechanical unit because the axle is a complete unit and is not broken into 3
sections.

Chris' instructions says to drop the axle and the pumpkin will fall right
out. Why is this? Why do you have to drop the axle to remove the ring and
pinion?

The O rings are leaking on mine. How do you extract the axle shafts in order
to replace them. I can't figure out to hook anything on them? The end of the
shaft is in the shape of a bowl and has a slot or a raised slot.

Is it possible to extract these shafts without disturbing the ring and
pinion? In other words can I just pull them out and pop them back in?

Also Chris says not to use mix and match axles from 68-78s and 79s-85s. I
believe the reason is because the driveshafts are not the same length. If
that's the case, then why not use the driveshaft that matches the axle?

James Seabolt -----> mailto:jseabolt@domain.elided
Webpage: http://pages.preferred.com/~jseabolt

United States

1980 FIAT 2000 Spider (injected)