Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

Strut Nut

"I can't get my nuts off!"

There, I've said it.  Now for the real question: how do you get the big nut
off the end of a strut, specifically a Lancia Scorpion?

The spring's compressed, I've got the requisite 17mm wrench, but the spindle
just spins.  Tried clamping the top plate with the same result.  Noticed the
8mm flat on the end of the spindle, but can't generate enough torque before
the wrench falls off.  Help!!!

George Emery
gemery@domain.elided
http://members.aol.com/gemery/scorpion.html