Italian Cars/Italian Cars Digest Archive

Fiat 850s

I have tried to deny it many time over the years, but I am a Fiat 850 addict and there is no 12-step program to help me.  The only hope that I have is knowing that I am not alone in loving the Fiat with the engines that turn backwards.

J. Seabolt has only himself to blame for complaining that the ICD has gotten stale lately.  My tale should cure him of that, and he will be happy and more complacent in the future.  My thanks to him for curing me of being a lurker.

My Abarth 1300/124 will soon be coming out of the paint shop attired in new clothing for the first time in the 29 years that I have owned it from new.

My 850 Berlina choked on gas tank rust and will soon be put right, perhaps to become a 1438-engined Abarth look-alike sometime in the near future [depending on the word that I get from Australia].

Alone and neglected in the side yard of my house is a 1966 [yes, 1966] Fiat 850 coupe, sans engine, far from the Deutsche-Fiat dealer that originally sold her brand-new to  a Canadian serviceman in Helbronn, Germany.  It is next in line for restoration to the original white with fake-brown-leather upholstery condition that it enjoyed early in its life.

As Tiny Tim said, "God bless us everyone" at this holiday season, and thanks to the ICD, the Internet, Carlo Abarth, Fiat, and all the other things that make life worth living.

It's a shame about the Cowboys, isn't it?

From Dallas with a big Texas Thank You to the ICD for a job well done,

Oscar Robinson