Reply: [ihc] Ford's "Scout" Range Rover

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Pete  Shubin wrote:

My daily driver is a 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.  When I bought it in
November 2003 Ford gave me a little card that asked if I would be willing to
participate in market research.
<snip>

I also get an occasional invitation to one focus group or another. It's pretty interesting and painless so I usually respond.

This evening I went to a focus group meeting (the kind where everyone sits
in a room with a one way mirror and they show you things and observe your
response) regarding concept vehicles.
<snip>

One of them so closely resembled a Scout II it was scary.  I stopped the
presentation and asked when they were going to start selling it because I
wanted to buy one.

Why did it resemble a Scout II?  It had round headlights on a grille that
was rectangular and had horizontal slots that made it closely resemble a '71
or '72 Scout II grille or even a '70s IH truck grille.  The body was very
squared off and rectangular.
<snip>

top of fender line that extends the entire length of the vehicle to
the rear, a nearly flat hood, what could have been a flat windshield, and
doors with squared off window corners than dropped straight down to squared
off corners just above the rockers.  The cab above the top of the doors and
hood was also stepped in slightly just like a Scout II.
<snip>

While driving along today, in the movable parking lot known as US-1 here in Miami, the vehicle to my left was a new Black Range Rover. I think Land Rover beat Ford (and others) to the Scout Look Alike Concept Punch.

http://www.landroverusa.com/us/en/Vehicles/Range_Rover/Photo%
20Gallery%20And%20Media/Photos.htm

(Line wrapped by writer)

What a great looking vehicle. Makes the Merc G500 look like a lunchbox.

(There has been a previous thread regarding the Range Rover looking like a next generation Scout.)

Since the Range Rover starts at approx $75K, whoever designs and builds a less expensive similar vehicle will sell a zillion.

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided