Re: [ihc] Need help on valve clatter

Tom,
   Lifter clatter on an IH engine? NO WAY! that's impossible!
   My experience in all SV engines has been that most all engines
clatter at start-up, till the pressure builds back up. Also, as I've
been told, that during rebuilds, if you bump the rear cam bearing by
even a 1/16 of an inch you lose pressure to the lifters and get valve
chatter. ALSO, by my own experience, as the oil filter wears out, that
is fills up, when the by-pass valve on the filter kicks in, then you
lose oil pressure and get lifter tapping. This is when I KNOW it is time
for an oil change. Usually I do it once a month, which used to mean
about 1500 miles, now that means 3000+, but; when the oil pressure drops
to 10ish and the lifters tap, then it is time to swing by the parts
store. If you use the proper IH filter, NAPA Gold, whatever that number
is I can never remember, 1954 maybe?, then the oil pressure is higher
and stays up longer.

--
Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided