Re: [ihc] Need help on valve clatter

Tom,

After I rebuilt my 345 I have one lifter that
collapses like that if the engine stops in just the
right place.  Does not depend on how long the engine
is shut down.  1/2 hour is enough.

It goes away after a few minutes of running but never
happens after it goes away.  Once pumped up, stays
pumped up.  Till the next time the engine stops at
just the right place.

If the oil pressure appears to go to zero while the
engine is running, I'd check that by installing a real
pressure gauge.  I just lay a hardware store 75psi
gauge on the tunnel and run a copper line to the oil
pressure fitting.

If the pressure really does go to zero while the
engine is running and returns to normal, about the
only thing that I can think of which might do that
would be a problem with the oil filter.  Or maybe the
pressure regulator valve inside the oil pump.  It
controls by venting the oil back to the pump inlet.
If it would stick open the oil pressure would
disappear.

Steve