Re: [ihc] electrical

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Moore" <kmoore@domain.elided>
To: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 11:09 AM
Subject: [ihc] electrical

I have a 1967 Scout 800 w/196 engine. My ammeter needle is bouncing rapidly
back and forth and is sometimes settling on the discharge side and staying
there. I haven't began to work on this yet. I just replaced the Alternator
and the voltage regulator. The needle bouncing was occuring before the new
parts and still is. Any comments where to start looking. I do plan to
replace the constant voltage regulator.

Thanks,
Kevin in NC
This problem is usually caused by bad connections. The ground wires are a good place to start. Putting all the power connections some place besides the big terminal on the starter is also a good idea.

There is a big wire leaving the main battery terminal at the starter. Not the battery cable, this is about a 10 ga. wire. It goes through the ammeter where it connects to the feeds to all the gadgets in the vehicle. Then it goes to the alternator. These two wires will often have worn insulation, and an intermittent short to ground will cause the swings.

A bad set of battery cables can cause this, too.

A bad connection to the voltage regulator can cause this, too. If the field wire is intermittent, it shuts the alternator down as it loosens or shorts to ground.

Just some places to start.