[ihc] alternators

I wanted to double check something with America's finest automotive minds
before running to the parts store.  I think I have a short of somekind in my
alternator (it's a stock style 10si).  There is continuity between the
battery terminal on the back and the case (ground) when the vehicle is off
and the battery is disconnected.  From looking at the wiring diagrams, I'm
sure this is a problem and would be providing a direct circuit back to the
battery thus draining it when not running.  Am I thinking clearly on this?
Also does anyone know "how to ask" for a 12si (90 amp+) alternator from the
parts counter at the local automotive store?  I've heard that the 12si is a
bolt in replacement, but provides higher amps than the stock units.