Re: [ihc] Re: 345 Oil drain holes clogged?

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Ryan Moore wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Stegmann" <steve.stegmann@domain.elided>
To: "Tom Mandera" <tsm1@domain.elided>; "Jim Grammer" <jgrammer@domain.elided>
Cc: "Ted Borck" <tborck@domain.elided>; "IHdigest digest" <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 22:43
Subject: Re: [ihc] Re: 345 Oil drain holes clogged?

Your problem might be rings.  Famous test for rings is
to find a nice long hill on the highway and coast down
with your foot off the gas at 60-70 mph for a long as
you can, then stomp the gas.  If you get a huge cloud
this way it is the rings.
<snip>

We used to havea  '65 chevy pickup, drove great, mechanically in tip top
shape... except the rings were shot.  I had those little extensions for the
spark plugs to stop oil fouling (found this out when I removed one and there
was something on the end of the spark plug that was going into the motor),
even with those extensions they oil fouled quick.   If you just used any
type of compression braking it'd start billowing smoke on its own.
<snip>

Anyway, if they are bad enough, he won't have to romp on it to get smoke!
Installing new valve guide seals fixed the problem.

The person who did the work is knowledgable enough to know the diagnostic difference between bad rings and funky valve guide seals.

Besides he's an old friend, and when you have a knowledgable old friend, who works clean, fixing your Scout's mechanical problems, it don't get much better than that.

He did allow how the head oil drainage passages didn't appear to be good mechanical design.

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided