[ihc] Re: 345 Oil drain holes clogged?

Latest wrinkle on the latest Scout project.

Upon startup, 345 V8 mokes out of right and left exhaust.

Normal 345 behavior so far.

After driving short distance, left bank quits smoking, but right bank continues to smoke even after driving 8 - 10 miles.

The engine is supposedly low mileage after complete re-build, by PO before the person who sold the Scout to me. Apparenty I 'm the 3rd owner.

(As a friend pointed out, "this is the first International you've owned that actually had oil pressure.")

The Scout has been parked for the past 6 months (body mounts, install another front axle, brake work) and only cranked this week.

First thought is to install valve guide seals, but. . .

Can clogged head oil return passages create this problem?

(After all only one side exhibits this problem)

So proposed cure is to install valve guide seals, and (Gee - I dunno, use a rifle barrel rod and brush?) and rotor-rooter the drain holes.

Anyone had experience with this?

--
Ted Borck tborck@domain.elided