Re: Reply: [ihc] Looking forward to ???

On Nov 24, 2004, at 6:39 PM, Ted Borck wrote:

As for outing alone in the Terra - have you considered an EPIRB?

--
Ted Borck	tborck@domain.elided
I hadn't, but I am now, thank you. They range in price from $150 to well over a thousand. I'm going to have to make some decisions about what features I really want. The GPS capability adds a lot to the cost, but I wonder if it doesn't help a lot when out in the back country.

Without the GPS, they track by triangulation, is that right? With GPS, the unit sends out your position, is that right?

I guess they operate kind of like a satellite phone, but only deliver one message. I know of several "old farts" who have the satellite phone, but that is an expensive option you have to pay for on a continuing basis. Too rich for my blood.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs