Re: [ihc] Weekend Chores : Pete's Front End...

Peter F. Ferris wrote:

IH All,

Got around to checking out my front end a little, trying to track down my
left <--> right sway & wander. Steering system SEEMS relatively intact, but
I did discover this:

www.pferris.com/scout/images/Scout_FE.MOV

(Special thanks to Bill for the cam to do this! It's about 2.13 MB or so, it
might take a bit on dial-up). You'll need QuickTime or some MOV player for
this.

Probably less than 40# of pressure needed to move this. I'm guessing this
much slop is out of bounds...

Pete,

First, that's your TIE ROD, not draglink (the link in question connects to the other knuckle, not to the steering box, right?)

Second, I wouldn't worry about any movement in the direction you were turning it - twistng it around the ball like that is fine, and how it's supposed to work.

I'd be more concerned about how that TRE (Tie Rod End) behaves when you move the steering wheel back and forth - if the rod itself and move side to side (not rotate around) then you have something to worry about it.

Imagine a TRE as a something like a nice big candy-apple on a stick. That's the shank (threaded part that goes into the knuckle). Then a big metal piece comes and covers up the apple.

By design, you can rotate the shank in any direction until the shank hits the body/housing. That's fine.

It's when you can move the shank *without changing the angle on it* that says you have a problem.

If you can hold the shank perpendicular to the tie-rod, and then move the shank side to side *while still being perpendicular* then it's shot.

Something like that, anyhow.

I'm working on my REAR axle today.. to R&R the shot ring and pinion n' such.. the old carrier came out so easily I'm not sure there was much of a preload on the housing.. and may have been part of the problem. Someone else set up the gears about 50-60k miles ago before I bought the Scout..

-Tom