RE: [ihc] Scout II front end question

There's
>not much room for new holes on those brackets... With yours removed, do you
>get any of the shimmy that Howard was talking about? I would also like to
>know what type of steel; if I do restore the flat bar, I should try to
match
>the tension of the original.

Extended shackles: going strictly from memory, IIRC I calc'd that every inch
of shackle extension in the front of a SII gave 1.5deg negative caster. Bad
juju. I run stock front shackles *with* the 'sway bar' and a straight steer
for cheap insurance. All front end parts are nice and tight, as a result my
topless SII('78 with 0deg caster) goes down the road straight at 65MPH
without a hand on the wheel. FWIW, there have been(Tuff Terrain, et al) and
prolly still are extended shackles out there with the mounting tabs for the
bar.

Sway bar material: I buy steel for work all the time, and the edge detail
tells a lot. The stock sway(shimmy) bar looks for all the world like raw
leaf spring stock, which would make sense. Just have a local(?) spring shop
whack off a hunk, and drill the holes at a slow speed with lots of down
force and cutting oil.

Jim