Re: [ihc] What does it cost to make a big hole instead of a small one?

At 8:22 AM 10/31/04, Jim Camery wrote:
>Digesters - something that's always made me wonder..

Short answer: because the mfgr. can GET more---

On a 392, the longer (but not necessarily reasonable) answer is that at
least SOME of the additional weight is in the counterweights on the crank,
and the crank is made of expensive material. (On the other hand, I would
bet that 392 and 345 (and quite possibly 266 and 304) cranks are all made
from the same rough forging--so there is LESS material (machining time,
cost) to be removed in completing a 392 crank than is involved in the
others--

Which takes us back to the SHORT answer---

Greg