RE: Re[4]: [ihc] RE: lug patterns

At 8:29 AM 10/29/04, Tom Harais wrote:
>Greg:

Pricey, but Alcoa will sell you all the 19.5 or 22.5 wheels you want in the
6 on 8.75 " lug pattern, brandy new.

IIRC, the 19.5's have 6" wide rimsand the 22.5's rims are 6.75" wide. These
(in the 19.5 size) have sufficient out-spacing to run 8R19.5's or, at
least, 225-.70 R 19.5's, and perhaps 245-.70 R 19.5's. Not enough spacing
OR rim width for 265-.70 R-19.5's, though.

Michelin is about my last choice for a MH tire. Goodyears ride MUCH nicer
and are also tougher and less prone to weather and UV checking. Continental
is another alternative, as is Nokia, although the latter still need to be
'gray' market, AFAIK.

Goodyear makes the 225--245--265 sizes in a winter tread (G-124), and, of
COURSE, Nokia makes awesome winter treads. The 225's and 245's are fairly
common across all of the major mfgrs, the 265's are harder to find
(Goodyear, Nokia, and I THINK Conti do them though).

If you go up to 22.5's, the standard choice is 9 R 22.5, and the low
profile choices are 235, 255, and 275 -.70 R 22.5. Again, the 275's require
wider (8 or 8.5")  rims, and are harder to find. Again, Goodyear, Nokia,
and mebbe Conti are the ones that come through, and the first two for sure
with winter treads.

However--you have just NAILED the reason why my MH is getting itself built
with 10 on 11.375" lug pattern (LUG CENTERED, thank you) hubs---22.5 x 8.5
wheels are readily available, NEW, in either Alcoa forged Al, OR
steel--with adequate out-spacing to handle the 275 tires.

The rated load capacity, size for size, of the 10 on 11.375 (standard 'big
truck' pattern, I don't know WTF Mac means by 'industrial' pattern)  is
SIGNIFICANTLY higher than it is for 6 on 8.75 wheels. Not to mention that
the 275-.70 R 22.5 tires are ubiquitously a 'G' load range rating, and thus
good for about 8K lbs per tire, maybe 7.5K lbs. per tire if dualled !!!

You also need to pay attention to the inflation pressure a wheel is rated
for vis a vis the pressure needed to achieve your selected tire's load
rating, and stick to the lower of the two.

With truck/MH tires, the rated pressure is ALWAYS stated assuming a COLD
tire and air, with the understanding that the pressure will rise as the
tire warms up in use, and with the DIRECTIVE that the tire pressure should
NOT be lowered as the tire warms up. Additionally--you MAY go 10% over the
rated cold inflation pressure of both tires and wheels (when cold inflating
them) --with no ill effects , no need to worry about the additional
increase in pressure as things warm up. By doing so, you will pick up an
approximately 10% increase in load capacity--or run the tires a bit cooler
with the same load, if you can stand the ride.

The improvement in RIDE with Goodyear 19.5's over Michelins, is STRIKING
--- and the Goodyears not only have a fuzz more load capacity, but do NOT
have the tendency to chuck ( that's CHUCK, as in THROW, NOT 'chunk') treads
that the Michelins seem to have..

Greg