RE: Re[4]: [ihc] RE: lug patterns

Greg:

So, I guess that means there are alternative wheels to the 19.5" Budd
(Accuride) with this 6 on 8.75" lug pattern?  Something with an offset that
can be used singly on the front as well as for duals on the rear?

Although those Budd wheels in 19.5" with that lug pattern may have been
common in their day, it seems they haven't been used in some time.  People
are saying it's tough to find replacement wheels of that size except for old
steel wheels at bone yards.  AND, the 19.5" tires, at least in the required
(due to dual spacing) size of 8R 19.5 are limited in what's available and
somewhat expensive at $150 - $200 each.  There are more modern variants of
19.5" tires (Michelin XRV for instance) in 70 series, but they won't work
with these older wheels because they don't have sufficient
between-tire-clearance on the rear duals. Of course, they are pretty pricey
too, especially for a limited use vehicle where they will age long before
you can wear them out.

I've often wondered if there was something else in wheels (and compatable
tires) available with the 6 on 8.75 lug pattern that was currently common
and perhaps a little cheaper.  I'm thinking 16" or even 22.5"?  I mention
the 22.5" because the other factor involved in these applications, is that
the tires need to be load range F.  D and E which are commonly available in
light truck sizes, just won't cut it for the weight being carried.

Tom H., '76 Travler