Re: [ihc] Annealing copper & deer slaying

(SNIP)

>-----Original Message-----
From: Jim or Ginger Aos
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2004 9:49 PM
To: Steven Stegmann; Tom Harais; ihc@domain.elided
Subject: Re: [ihc] (TIP) Anyone's tail/lift gate latches squeak

If I remember my metallurgy correctly? In order to anneal copper after you
heat it up to red color to soften yo then quench in water unlike steel,
which you slow cool to anneal.
Sorry about the loss of your faithful servant :(
(snip)
I had a bit of a melancholy moment when I removed all the tools and and repair part out of the car. I'm one of those that typically keeps a vehicle for a long time, as in 300,000 miles is not uncommon. I guess it's part of my environment protection attitude, along with knowing all the strong and weak points of the vehicle. That helps me prevent some on the road breakdowns.
I considered a T All for a replacement. But the priorities went something like this:
1. Both Ginger and I would be comfortable with the end result.
2. High fuel mileage - 18-22 mpg
3. Easy access for groceries, yard sale stuff, and, and.
4. Four wheel drive, that you did not have to get out to engage.
5. Small enough to fit in Wallmart parking, and downtown, 4door.
6. Good peripheral lighting.
7. Low and standard maintenence, ( in case I'm unable to ) also should be local..
8. Quiet while driving, ( she has very sensitive hearing, I just turn down my hearing aids).
9. Had to have enough room for me to sit and be comfortable and still have some room for others.

We settled on a 2001 Blazer LS, and now I can get back to a more normal life.

Thank you for expressed and felt kind thoughts. Jim A.
Jim Aos
jaos@domain.elided
Okanogan, WA

72 1310 I.H.C 4x4 245000 miles
76 300D MB 279000 miles (deerslayer! out of service)
83 Goldwing 205000 miles
94 F350 Turbo Diesel 191000 miles
01 Blazer 79000 miles (low mileage)
http://www.geocities.com/eilofaos/eilof.html