[ihc] RE: ihc-digest V7 #670

Hello Tom H.,

All of them, well I'll start by answering your questions.

1. I think so too.

2. Yes on the "fork" of the latch that does the holding/inner.

3. I don't know, but isn't that just a standard seal? The Scout is around
the opening, the one between the tail and lift gates is very special and
precious if you have a good one.

4. Your latch is probably worn like the one in my lift gate was. I used the
welder and built up the worn area and then used the grinder to restore the
original shape. Kind of like gun smithing.

Copper Gaskets.

1. A 3/4" pipe times pie (3 or 3.14 for the anal retentive types)= 1.5" wide
strip, more then enough. Tip: leave the extra hanging below the header
flange to reduce trimming and do cut the notches for the spark plug wires
too.

2. Use the soft coiled copper pipe not the rigid M or L. It only comes in
one thickness that I know of.

Bonus tip for tail gate noise: Remove the straps and see if the rivet they
pivot on is tight. If not place the big end of the rivet on the anvil of
your vise and place a small socket (IIRC 7/16") over the small end. Not take
your BFH and pound until it tightens up. Then use a ball peen on the rivet
to make sure it stays tight. Using the original spring cup washers will
mounting bolts will solve a bunch of problems too. Then look along the edge
of the near the bottom and you will find a seam that also acts as a stop for
the straps when you close the gate. Slit a piece of vacuum hose and glue it
over this seam with weather strip adhesive.

Have fun,

Tom R.