RE: [ihc] Dans t-all

## >> OOPS!!!!
## >>
## >> My comment was meant to imply that I wasn't sure if
## >> that was the way to get along with the seargent at PT
## >> in the morning.  He might be grouchy.
## >>
## >> Steve

not just any Sergeant, Steve.  FIRST Sergeant.  that's three up and three
down with a diamond in the middle.  we call 'em Hard Stripers.  every
Battery and Company in the Army has a First Sergeant, answerable only to the
Battalion and Brigade Command Sergeant Majors and Battery/Company,
Battalion, and Brigade XOs and COs.  he's the guy in charge of every other
enlisted person in the basic unit formation (Company, Battery, whatever).
even the lesser officers of a line unit (mostly second lieutenants), except
for the Commander and Executive Officer, don't get in First Sergeant's way.
if you want to talk to the XO or CO, you have to go through First Sergeant,
and he's...  cranky.  throughout the Army the informal honorific title for
First Sergeants is "Top" and a lot of 'em demand, or at the very least
expect, to be given their full due, including being called "Top".

i've met a few First Sergeants as we've gone along now.  out of uniform,
they're pretty good guys.  most of 'em have twenty-plus years in the service
and are either bucking for retirement or Sergeant Major school.  *in*
uniform, that's another story entirely.  from what i've seen, the job
requirements include a chip on the shoulder, nasty disposition,
predisposition for yelling and swearing, and a penchant for surprise five or
ten mile marches at five o'clock in the morning--in full kit.  grouchy
indeed.

we got a new First Sergeant not very long ago, along with a new Battalion
CSM.  both of 'em seem like decent folks.  interestingly enough, the new
Battalion CSM used to be my Bride's Battery First Sergeant a few years back,
and she's a pretty serious lady.  the Brigade CSM runs ten miles every
morning before morning PT.  that man has issues.  they do a lot more running
in this Brigade now than they used to, because the Brigade CSM likes to lead
the morning runs for individual Batteries a lot of the time and he likes to
really *run*.  consequently they have more foot injuries now (anybody
remember what i said about my Bride's feet?), but...  it's the New Army.

of course, i managed to get compleatly off topic.  i think Top would first
turn red, then purple, then blow steam out of his ears if Becca showed up to
PT with light-up shoes.  he might even pop a few dozen blood vessels in his
head and maybe have a coronary.  this is probably not a good thing.
probably.  <grin>

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/

---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However; Don't take *my* word for it,
check it yourself.
"I'd rather have a German Division in front of me than a French one
behind." - General George S. Patton