[ihc] Pete's Carb : The End For Now

Advance apologies IF this is a dupe, but digest.net / majordomo just bounced
it back to me.  It looked ok, but I noticed header said (correct account)
"on behalf of" (incorrect account). Uggh. I'll get it sorted out eventually!
%^}

######################

Good Morning All,

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
First Things First:  Happy Anniversary Tom & Michelle!  Perhaps some days it
might seem more like a "sentence" than a "blessing", but trust me, it can be
a beautiful thing!  ;-) =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Next, just a note to say in between "social engagements" over the weekend, I
was able to squeeze in about 4 hours yesterday afternoon and get the carb
rebuilt!!  YIPEEE! And here's the very scary part: After a minor prime (~1/4
cup-o-gas), it fired right off and worked great! I reset all idle adjustment
screws/needles to previous position (which I recorded).

Pre-rebuild:  Float was beyond 1/16" out of adjustment. As I dismantled the
old carb, I could see that someone had previously rebuilt it (bowl vent
valve is MIA, etc.  How critical is that? I guess not too critical, it seems
to run ok without it!). Unless someone tells me I'll get another 5 MPG or
something WITH it, I won't worry about it. The only problem I had was that
the NAPA rebuild kit gave me TWO (2) *IDENTICAL* throttle body gaskets and
*NO* power valve assembly! Arrrghh! Does that depend on the quality of the
kit or is that standard practice?  My old power valve was probably 70% of
the problem.  It was essentially BLACK graduating to "tobacco brown" in
color - all varnish/gunkified. It would easily physically "hang" in the
spring compressed position.

Rather than carb dip things and risk destruction of a soft alloy, I
dismantled everything pretty well and used up about 4 cans of Gunk carb
cleaner, and only dipped what I KNEW could "take it". I have a fine mesh
screen parts basket that came in handy. All I'll say is sparkling white shop
towels and one of the wife's baking pans are a beautiful combination! ;-)
"No dear, I don't know why the roast tastes like gasoline!"  ;-)

I took "plenty" of pictures (ok, I'll try to thin 'em out! ;-)).  I'll post
a link once everything's documented & posted, so the next anal retentive
that's never done this before can get a clue what they're about to tackle!
The info will probably will appear as a new article on my Postnuke site.
(See signature below).

Bad News: Lots of scrapes and gouges as if DPO had used screwdriver, gasket
scraper and chainsaw to separate at bowl cover and fuel bowl itself. Lots of
dings & gouges on outer edges. *&^%$#@! This explained a lot of fuel leakage
(residue) I had seen on the OUTSIDE of the bowl. No gasket in the world can
seal all of that! I took my air grinder (variable speed) and a fine grit
'Scotch-Brite' Roloc disc and *gently* smoothed out as much as I could
(knocked off most of the burrs, etc.). I may shop for a fresh carb off "that
online auction house" and rebuild it in my spare time and swap it if it's in
better shape overall. But for now, what I have works and will get me where I
need to go.

I need to replace a cracked vac hose, maybe make a minor tweak or two, and
unless someone has some post-rebuild instructions, I'll call it "good".  I
think I'll wait a week or so (I'm driving rarely & short distances at the
moment), then snug everything down again. Also need to replace the foil
corrugated hose to the air cleaner.

It'll be interesting to see what my new fuel "economy" will be like.
Coincidentally, I had to go fill the tank last night, so I'll know fairly
soon.

Heartfelt thanks to everyone that contributed to my peace-of-mind in this
project. Tom M, Tom H, Steve S, John H, Allan W, David Raistrick and
everyone else! Thanks guys!!

Have a great day!

--Pete

   ||( )| | | | | |( )||  Binder AT pferris DOT com
   | ----------------- |  '77 Scout II, 304, a/t, p/s, etc.
  [/\_@@ ==== ==== @@_/\] More 'stock' than 'not'!
  [/>#################<\] http://www.pferris.com/Binder_Pix/Binder_Pix.php
  [/</]   \_/       [\>\] http://www.pferris.com/scout