[ihc] Re: More on Pete's Choking...

>Do I need to study the old carb, make any notes, or anything?
>Count how far any/every screw is turned in/out? I don't plan
>on running that without rebuilding it.

Pete,
  If you have a digital camera, I suggest taking several
pictures before you remove it, and after if there are
any linkages that you could not get a good shot of
with it installed.  You might not have to refer to
them later when reinstalling it.  But, there's no
going back if you don't take them and end up not
remembering exactly how it was connected.

  I am also a fan of recording and adjustment you will
change as part of the rebuilding process.  Example,
the choke setting, idles screws. etc.  The kit comes with
instructions that tell you where to put these, but I have
followed those instructions and ended up with engines
that ran worse than before I did the rebuild.  After
making lots of tweaks, I'd get it running right again.
Those instructions give starting points and every engine
is unique to some degree due to numerous variables.
If you record the setting, you can then try what the
instructions say.  If it runs good with that setting, fine.
If not, you refer to your notes and put it where it was
before the rebuild.  You may still have to adjust it
if something was "off" before the rebuild.  Generally,
once I get the settings honed in, I record my own
notes on where each setting should be for the future.

Lastly, I never dunk a whole carb.  Only the metal pieces
after disassembly.  Others may do it, but I don't.

Allan W.