[ihc] GVW Calculations

I've been having trouble getting this message through for some reason.

Weight ratings are calculated based on the sum of the front axle rating
plus the rear axle rating.  The axle ratings are based on the minimum
rating of four ratings--the actual axle's rating, the spring rating, the
tire rating, and the brake rating.  As someone else said, don't try too
hard to figure it out or you'll just get a headache.

For 1972, the 1210 Travelette Four Wheel Drives came with ratings of 6900
and 7700 pounds, which doesn't explain the 7500 on Rocky's VIN plate.
The two wheel drives came in 6300, 7200, 7500, and 8200 pounds.  In this
model, the standard axles were sufficient for even the 8200 pound rating,
so there were no optional axles.   As you went up in rating, heavier
tires and/or springs were needed for each step and for the 8200 pound
rating, heavier front brakes were also required.

The changes in ratings to avoid exhaust emissions regulations took place
in 1975.   The Scout became the Scout XLC, the IH 100 model became the
150, along with Ford creating the F-150, Chev the C-15, and I think Dodge
used the D-150 designation at the time.  Generally, the lightest
spring/tire packages were dropped to make this a real change. This bought
everyone 3 years until 49 states emissions requirements for GVW's over
6200# took effect in 1979.  Generally, California emissions required
different systems during these years and I'm not sure if 6200# made any
difference there, but it may have.

Yes, XLC stands for Xtra Load Capacity.

Howard