RE: [ihc] About those parking brakes .....

I'm somewhat guilty of this. Having moved from CA with its population of
between 35 and 40 million (who knows!?), to a state with just under 500K,
I'm inclined to a little complacency and smugness at times. But Tom is
correct; it can happen anywhere. All it takes is a handful of do-good,
utopian, goof-brained, feelers (as opposed to thinkers) in positions of
power to screw up an entire state.

At least here, you can write a letter to the newspaper, and nearly everyone
in town reads it. You can stop the Mayor on the street, and tell him what
you think about something. Chances are, if you don't know the people in
power, your neighbor or friend does. It's easier to keep everyone
accountable. The larger the population, the more difficult it is to keep the
movers and shakers on the path of reason. No one knows who they are, so they
can't be shamed into acting sensibly.

I don't know what the answer is...

John A.