RE: [ihc] About those parking brakes .....

## >> I don't think the visual inspections went away in California
## >> and unless they
## >> changed the law any vehicle, even the smog exempt ones, can
## >> be called for a
## >> smog test including the full visual inspection.  I had it
## >> happen to a '64
## >> Bug I had a few years ago.  Found out after the whole ordeal
## >> with the State
## >> that any do-gooder can report a car that is polluting "too
## >> much" and call in
## >> the license plate number to the State and then they come
## >> after you.  I tried
## >> the number tonight and it still connects you to the South
## >> Coast Air Quality
## >> Management District.

that's what i thought.  the visual inspection stuff seems way too entrenched
to have just gone away so quickly.  much too easy a way for CA to line its
own pockets at motorists' expense, you know.

i believe Texas has a similar "report gross polluters" tattle-tale line as
to what CA has.  i think i've seen signs with the information on them.  i
haven't called it, and i don't remember everything the signs say, so i have
no idea what the number actually connects the caller to.

## >> All I can say is that modified cars, women, and a sore
## >> loser's knowledge of
## >> the smog laws here caused me a lot of grief.

me too.  oh wait, i meant just the smog part.  +)

## >> I feel the need to correct your statement regarding the out
## >> of state fees.
## >> To my recollection California never said they were "wrong" to
## >> charge the
## >> fees.  The courts ruled the fees unconstitutional and ordered
## >> the State to
## >> pay the fees back to the public.  There is a big difference.  Our dear
## >> Legislature would never see a tax on a few to "benefit" the
## >> many as wrong.

that's my mistake for being unclear.  i didn't mean to imply that the
*state* said they were wrong, only that they (the state) got told in no
uncertain terms by the courts that they _ARE_ wrong and they had to pay the
money back.  the courts said the state was wrong, which is what i meant to
say.  i too know how improbable it is for the state of California to admit
they were wrong about something like this.

in reference to the Texas vehicle import fees, i don't think it's a tax or
anything like that, nothing to violate the commerce laws that were mentioned
in another post.  it's some kind of processing fee, i forget now exactly how
they worded it, but basically it will cost you an extra $150 to register a
vehicle in Texas if it's not already registered here.  like, an initial
registration fee or something.  i think they charge the same fee on brand
new cars for their first-time-ever registration, too. i looked on the Texas
Department of Transportation and Tax Board web sites for information about
these fees, and i couldn't find anything.  when we first came here two years
ago, that's what they told me when i contacted them about registering our
vehicles here.  maybe it's changed since then, as i can't find any official
information about it on the relevant sites.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.