RE: [ihc] About those parking brakes .....

## >> The "governator" already signed that bill, along with another one that
## >> stopped the "30 year roll forward" for the SMOG Check II
## >> program.  So now,
## >> you can't buy a Barrett 50 cal in California (God knows that
## >> the terrorists
## >> would just use one to blow up and oil refinery, you know?)
## >> AND my Scout must
## >> continue to be Smog checked biennially.  Before, it would
## >> have only had to
## >> pass one more check in 2006, then no more.  And, I could have
## >> avoided that
## >> one by "non-opearting" registering it in late 2006 and then
## >> bringing it back
## >> to operation in 2007.

whoah whoah whoah!  back the truck up here.  we're currently sentenced--err,
i mean stationed--in Fort Bliss, Texas.  the Scout 800A and TravelAll 1110
are both still registered in California.  the 800A is a 1970 and the 1110 is
a 1972.  neither has required emissions testing in several years.  other
than passing the initial inspection when i brought the TravelAll into CA in
2001, it's never been inspected or tested.  the 800A was already exempt when
we got it, so it's never been tested or inspected while we've had it,
either.  it's been kind of nice being able to register each of them back in
CA from here when the time came, no inspections or anything, just send in a
copy of the insurance and a check.

i haven't been following the CA emissions laws recently (i know, i know, i
should be ashamed.  i know).  how will this change affect those vehicles?  i
was considering non-op registering the 1110 when it comes due this January,
because i still haven't been able to get insurance for it, but now i don't
know if i can.  if i go non-op, will it require a new inspection to
re-register it when i get it insured again, requiring a trip to CA to have
it inspected?

neither vehicle will pass the Fort Bliss required safety inspection, so i
can't register them here in Texas, even if they pass the Texas emissions
requirements.  so i'm kind of stuck.  as i already asked, how does this
change in the emissions laws affect these trucks?

thanks for the information, Tom.

--Mac

P.S.:  the 800A has an ex-A.I.R.-equipped 392 with all the smog stuff
removed and the A.I.R. ports in the heads plugged.  it also has an
EGR-equipped intake manifold with the EGR port blocked off with a steel
plate.  originally engines with A.I.R. didn't come with EGR; neither of my
TravelAlls, both with a 392 and A.I.R., has EGR.  this truck, should it ever
require a CA inspection, will not pass.  oddly enough, both TravelAlls still
have their full complement of emissions equipment in place.  the 1110 is
fully functional now, though it won't pass the visual inspection because it
has the Holley Pro-Jection on it (it should pass the actual emissions
without a problem), and the 1010 was fully functional when i parked it, and
it *did* pass inspection/emissions.

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.