RE: [ihc] A question...

## >> Sometimes Mac, you and I do agree.  Seldom, but sometimes <g>

maybe i should work harder on my approach?  agreeing with me can't be
healthy for you.  perhaps you should check with your family doctor, you
never know, there might be something wrong with you.  +)

## >> I would
## >> really like to have a sleeper on the back of a pickup.  I saw one in
## >> Sheridan Wyo. in the fall of '95.  The new (at that time)
## >> Dodge pickups
## >> hadn't been out long and there was a cab-chassis in the
## >> parking lot that
## >> had a real semi sleeper on behind the cab.  No flatbed or anything
## >> behind that. Just a cobbled up hitch so they could pull a hot shot
## >> trailer.  I fell in love even though they hadn't done a nice
## >> job of it.
## >> To put a period sleeper on an old truck would be way cool for
## >> traveling.

you know, i saw a couple of those at a truck show when the idea first hit
the light truck world.  seems like there must have been an unlimited supply
of ideas for a "good" way to do it.  the best one i saw by far was one that
somebody'd stuck on behind a Ford van cab and chassis.  i guess the notion
didn't catch on past the first few botched attempts, i haven't seen any of
the big ones like that since.  i've seen a few custom sleeper arrangements,
but they're mainly smaller-sized conversions, not the fullsize semi sleepers
like we're talking about here.

i like 'em too, though.  that's a lot of work (and probably expense) to
mount one of those big sleepers on a regular pickup.  the thing i saw in
Crismon was just a small-ish extension to the back of the cab.  nothing
super fancy, but it sure looks sharp.  looks pretty functional, too.  i
don't think i need anything more than that, even though the idea of having
all that room in one of the really big double sleepers has more than a
little appeal.  especially for long trips with small children.

## >> Too bad nothing wants to line up to use a big sleeper on a
## >> pickup.  The
## >> one I saw just had a piece of plywood blocking the front
## >> entrance and he
## >> evidently crawled into it through a side door. I guess you could do a
## >> huge body lift, re-do the roofline of the pickup cab, or
## >> notch the floor
## >> of the sleeper so it will sit down around the framerails.

at least in my case, i've got the regular straight frame, so a sleeper
should just match up behind the cab without a problem (notwithstanding the
roof issues for one of those overhead units).  the thing is, i've seen the
sleeper extension the A and B series *should* have, and somehow settling for
anything less just doesn't seem right.  i say "should have", and i guess
that's nothing more than a matter of my opinion.  but doggonit, the one
Crismon shows looks *right* on the back, i can't picture anything else
fitting in like that.  makes me wonder what it would cost and who i would
have to take it to in order to have something like that done.  seems pretty
simple at the outset, but what do i know about cab extensions and that kind
of sheetmetal and glass work?

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.