Re: [ihc] About those parking brakes .....

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>
To: "Jim or Ginger Aos" <jaos@domain.elided>
Cc: <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 12:12
Subject: Re: [ihc] About those parking brakes .....

> Kind of like the stories that came out of Vietnam early on about enemy
> solders being nicked by a 223 bullet from an M16, and having massive
> fatal wounds just from the nick. I know a guy who knew a guy who
>
> John

I know a guy directly who is an ex Army Ranger and served in Vietnam, we
talked once about it and the original M-16 rounds.  He indicated that the
round was indeed very nasty and not something that you wanted to get hit
with... not that you'd really "want" to get hit with any round.

He also said that his unit never had them jam on them even once... something
about white glove inspections and a rigorous cleaning of the weapons, and
something that apparently the normal front line guys couldn't do very well.
His unit also had an M-60 and a number of M-1s.  He commented how you had to
stop the slightest bit of sand or water from getting in the M-16s barrel,
but you could pretty much submerge the M-1 in sand or water and it'd still
fire reliably after you were done.  Apparently the biggest problem with the
M-60 was if the sear broke and the gun tried to run away.

From the way he was talking, if you hit a guy with one of those original
M-16 rounds, he probobly wasn't going to get back up.

However, if the "nick" stories are true... how can you tell it's a nick if
the whole arm is gone?  Of course, from the way he was talking, they didn't
have much of a problem with simply wounding someone with one of those
jacketed hollow tips... but then again, they were Rangers too.

-Ryan

---