Re: [ihc] About those parking brakes .....

On Sep 24, 2004, at 12:46 PM, Jim or Ginger Aos wrote:

John, I'm with Steve in that we all do stupid things some times. I keep thinking? (hoping) that with age I wll do less of that. Doesn't seem to happen that way. I'm glad you came through OK.

This Mico lock? I think there was one of those on the garbage truck that I used when I was a garbage collector. That was a fair job back in the 60's. It paid $412 / month. and all you could eat. :-) I've been thinking about using one on the 1310 for when I use the crane for rock setting or whatever else I might use it for. Any one is welcome to give your opinion. pros and/or cons.
thanks. Jim A.
Jim,

I'm afraid getting older doesn't do much for reducing stupidity. I'm afraid I'm proof of that.

I've had MicoLocks on my IH vehicles practically since the beginning of time. The ones I liked best were the ones with a manual handle that locked the fluid in the system and then released it with a half turn of the handle. However, I don't know if they still make the manual models. The one I have on this Terra is electrically operated and controlled with a toggle switch.

Ryan's comments are right on, in that one probably shouldn't use the MicoLock for long-time locking up of the brakes. This would include, as he indicated, leaving it on for long periods when there were substantial temperature changes.

These units work very well indeed if the brakes on whichever axle you are controlling work well. On my Terra, the MicoLock did not hold well on the rear brakes especially in regard to holding the vehicle from rolling backwards. However, on the front disks, it holds very well.

I really like these units and have never had a problem with them. There used to be stories circulated about hunters leaving their MicoLocks on and then having an accident requiring someone to go for help. Most of the stories I heard ended the same way, with the guy dying while his hunting buddy tried to get the vehicle to move. I know a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy, whose uncle knew a guy with a MicoLock .......

Kind of like the stories that came out of Vietnam early on about enemy solders being nicked by a 223 bullet from an M16, and having massive fatal wounds just from the nick. I know a guy who knew a guy who .......

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs