Re: [ihc] Identify Rear Step Bumper/Receiver Hitch

Now, that was an experience!

John

On Sep 22, 2004, at 8:13 AM, Tom Harais wrote:

The trailer was pushing the Scout all over the place on the downhill grades.
Then, the rear driver's tire blew and shredded apart, tearing up the rear
quarter panel and taking out the fuel filler line with it. I had no control
and we were on an elevated, divided, four lane freeway. As we hurtled
forward down that freeway with limited steering control, the Scout went into
the center divide about three hundred yards before an over crossing. All I
could see was us getting to the over crossing and plunging down the
embankment onto the street below. Luckily, we were able to coast to a stop
just short of the drop off for the over crossing. But, upon exiting the
truck, I not only found all the damage and a smoking tire, but the gas tank
was emptying itself out into a puddle under the rear of the truck. I had to
unhook the trailer in a hurry, engage 4WD because there was no rear tire on
that side, and get that Scout away from the trailer and horses in a real
hurry. All this while my friend's wife, and owner of the horses, was going
into hysterical shock over this set of events.

Tom H., '76 Traveler

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs