RE: [ihc] Scout Gold Portfolio redux

## >> Also, that same article, the guy says he ordered his 800 with
## >> the heavy
## >> duty axles, 3044 combo, I'm sure, but; with the standard rate springs,
## >> not the heavy duty springs. Now, I've never owned an 800, but; were
## >> there really 2 different spring sets with the 27's and the
## >> 30/44 combo?
## >> --
## >> Dan Nees
## >> cookiedan@domain.elided

i'm going to have to say yes.

we had a '68 Scout 800 till last year and we still have the '70 Scout 800A.
the 800 had D27A axles front and rear, and the 800A has D30 front and D44
rear.  both are 4x4, the 800 had a 152/T90 3-speed and the 800A has a 392
(originally it had a 304) and T18 4-speed.  the springs are different
between the two Scouts.  originally, my understanding is that only the
V8-equipped Scouts got the D30 axle, otherwise it was a D27 on the front,
even on the 800s and 800As with a D44 rear axle (i wasn't aware you could
order the D30 separate from the V8).  heavier springs accompanied the
heavier front axle that came on V8-equipped Scouts, and heavier springs also
accompanied the D44 rear axle.

now, before Ryan pipes up and mentions it, the springs under our 800A are no
longer stock.  the rears have an aftermarket half-leaf "helper" spring, and
the fronts have two extra full-length leaves added into the spring pack from
another 800A.  notwithstanding those two additions, the original spring
packs on the 800A are still thicker and heavier than the springs from the
800 with the D27 axles.  that 800 had a fairly soft ride, too.  i wouldn't
have trusted the rear springs on that one to carry anything more than one or
two passengers and no extra gear, they were that soft.

the usual nickel and grain of salt disclaimer apply.

--Mac

Wassail!

Krystof "Mac" MacBryghde
TyrGothi

http://master.triad.ath.cx/
---
This message is certified Virus Free.  However;
Don't take *my* word for it, check it yourself.