Re: [ihc] Scout Gold Portfolio

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Nees" <cookiedan@domain.elided>
To: "ihc digest" <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 18:16
Subject: [ihc] Scout Gold Portfolio

> Reapers,
>    I was reading my Scout Gold Portfolio book today when I read the
> article Special Oder Scout.
>    It was a Four Wheeler article about some guy who bought a Scout 800
> and put a Chevy engine in it.
>    Anyway, in the article they mention he built a homemade winch out of
> a Jack & Heintz aircraft starter. I've never heard of anyone doing this
> with something like this. Would it be very strong, I wonder?
> --
> Dan Nees
> cookiedan@domain.elided

You should have seen the winch I saw at the tractor show this weekend.
Heck, I should have taken a picture of it.  I only took a single picture
over the whole weekend... that was of the 110HP Case steam tractor that
makes the Aultman Taylor tractor look tiny in comparison.   The driver in
that thing sits 2 stories up, and it looks like it requires a crew (vs a
single operator for the Aultman Taylor).    It also has full power steering
vs full manual for the aultman taylor.   They have a lever and gears wind
etc to turn the stuff the reel the chains to the front axle for steering.

Anyway, the winch was basically a trailer for a tractor with a PTO input on
it.  And some *very* masssive reduction gears and other stuff so you could
operate it with a single lever.   Very old too... old enough that it used
steel wheels.  Had a pto shaft for the tractor.  The drum for the thing was
3' wide (lengthwise) with a 1' or so diameter.  The thing was triple or
quadruple reduction with 1" cable on it,  the larger gears had around a 3'
diameter to them.  Wish I'd gotten a picture... I'll have to get one next
year (I imagine it'll still be there).

-Ryan

---