[ihc] Statment of defense...I.E. my side of the story

I feel I must comment to the same places Robert posted the last part to so
that my side can be heard and you all can make your conclusions. I dont
feel like this should be a public matter and hope that Robert will take
this to me as instructed.

First off I must say building Project Expedition is by far one of my
greatest accomplishments. Its scope and vision was huge. I have learned
many lessons from the buildup (at Robert and Christine's time expense) this
project was approached when I was a rookie in business back when I was
still in College. It was thought that I could work on it for 6 or so
straight months in my off time and complete the massive buildup. I was
young and did not know what I know about business today. I was full of
enthusiasm but lacked many skills to complete the project on schedule. I
made mistakes along the way. The first major lesson that I learned is time
management. Rob and I did not expect there to be a blow up of major
proportions over 6 months after the NW Roundup and things got delayed again
and again as time to do all things (wear many hats) battled over one owner.
Then a major move across the state and a few years later a major move in
shop location intervened as well as many personal occurrences. At one point
I worked two jobs and got worn out making BCB successful without any bank
or outside financial help of any kind. I build BCB from the ground up
investing all profits back into the company for equipment and supplies, as
well as upgrading stuff. Robert was helpful and suggestive all along the
way. He could have come and got Expedition but he chose to have me finish
it. The point is I bit off way more than a new business should ever have
considered and it took 4 years to get Expedition done. To this day I still
battle time as one of my greatest adversaries of schedule completion. Its
way better than it used to be, and as I add more employees and skills to
the business it becomes easier and easier. I thank Robert and Christine for
their patience.

	Secondly with regard to the projects budget and finish price. Rob and I
went over countless hours and hours of UNBILLED changes, and options, as
well as additions and deletions to the project. It stayed close to the
original vision of the Scout but did deviate. There were many items on the
build sheet that neither one of us had a clue as to how much they would be.
BIG MISTAKE I learned if you don't know don't put it on there. The lights
in the front bumper that were never priced out were $477. The powder
coating was originally thought to be $300 and was $841 including Taxes. A
difference of $541. The front bumper was based off a $1200 Rennelle but had
several major improvements and additions. We figured similar cost but in
the end it was $2050. Plus moving from Eastern Washington to Western added
1% to the tax rate. So most of you can see where we ran over budget on this
project. It was about less than 10% which in my mind for a project with
this diverse of a scope and vision is normal. I mean to say with any
project as you dig into it you are going to find little things to fix that
are going to cost time and that translates to some Money. I had been for
many months prior to deliver telling Robert that the bumpers and finishing
cost were going to be pushing the 15,331.24 we had budgeted. I had try and
let him know that it could go over. He kept saying finish the bumpers and
call it done. We did and delivered it to his house.

	Third and possibly most importantly I did compensate Robert many times
over for his generosity, help, advice, and understanding when my
business/personal life matters got in the way of the project. I only
brought his bumper and snorkel to the shows over the years (partly so he
could see them in person) and before they were completed in full and
installed. I rated all 152.91 hours at $40 rather than a split of the time
in Eastern Washington $40/hour vs. Western Washington $55-$60/hour. I did
not include at least 35-40 hours of labor due to it being late, I did
include many free used parts, and did not include many $5-$10 items on the
bill. I did not charge him delivery expenses (though he did toss us $20 for
food and drink) to deliver the truck to his place. I thanked him for the
loaner tires to get to RMIHR when I was in College. He did step up and help
me make the shows that year and it was greatly appreciated. In the end I
feel I did as much as I could bear to compensate him for the delays and his
inconvenience. Lastly he has not even paid the $1420.93 that he still is
outstanding. I have given him time to look over the truck and left
instructions with him to call me if anything is wrong so that I may take
care of it in an agreeable manner.

Lastly I do not feel like this forum is the place to discuss the finer
detail of such an extensive project. I only offer the above tidbits to
offset and defend what he said in a less than truthful manner. If Robert
has a problem I wish that he please follow my instructions and contact me
directly and give me the chance to handle and matter he objects to. Thank
you all for listing to my side of things.
And Robert if you are reading this please call me directly ASAP

QUOTE:
       Project Expedition, my 1973 cross-country Scout has finally
been
delivered from Back Country Binders. The project is done, though not to
the
original specifications of the rebuild and over four years behind
schedule.
Though BCB was given a set dollar amount of over $15,000 to work with, in
the final week, 6 days to delivery I was informed that they ran over
$517.
Two days later (4 days before delivery), another update was sent stating
that they are now $1423 over budget. The last updated spreadsheet that I
had
prior to this was over 2 years ago so I had no idea we were over budget.
(This mail was scheduled to go out on Monday this week however delivery
was
again delayed until this last Wednesday.)

Four years of broken promises, missed deadlines and misrepresentation has
left a bad taste in my mouth and created too great of point of contention
within my family. I find that his failure to honor commitments in
rebuilding
the truck inexcusable. I find it unconscionable, that for four years
parts
of my truck that I paid for have made it to the shows and been used for
advertising without any compensation, or consideration that we have gone
out
of our way to help John make it to the shows when times were lean. My
dealings with John are between me and him and I ask that this not be an
issue for public debate.
END QUOTE:

"Overbuilding may be dumb, sometimes; but never as dumb as
underbuilding."
Remember: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after
the sweetness of low price is forgotten!!
          WSU
	GO COUGS            BACK COUNTRY BINDERS
	  WSU      	    3357 Northlake Way NW Unit A
                            Bremerton, WA. 98312
                               John L. Fleck
   R.I.P. "LARP"	        "Fleckster"
                        PHONE#   (360)-377-4979