[ihc] Sealing a leaky windshield question

The windshield in the Scout leaks real bad since it was repainted. The
people that painted it replaced the windshield using undersized glass and
the old gasket. I took it to a glass shop today and they said they could
reinstall the windshield with the new gasket, which I already have, for
about 125.00 or just remove the v strip and "caulk" around edge of the old
gasket and glass to seal it for around 40.00.

Anyone have any good or bad experiences with the "caulk" method to report.
If it was your Scout which way would you do it. After doing the rear window
in a new fiberglass frame I know how hard it is to do and I don't want to
risk doing it my self and breaking the much more fragile windshield glass.

Tom Reed