RE: [ihc] liquid plastic?

Thanks for the ideas, Ed. I thought about using Scout II fixtures, but the
problem there is that on the 800, there's this little protrusion where the
lights are mounted, kind of like a flat saddle. It's considerably shorter
than the rectangular lenses on either the Scout II, or the oval ones on the
Travelall. The opening is 1.5" x 4", and the bezel, which just about matches
the dimension of the "platform", is 2" x 5". To create a larger opening
there would be problematic because it would soon go beyond the flat surface,
and out into the contour of the platform. On your 800B, that platform must
be longer, or no longer present (?). I think that's partly why
"scoutparts.com" and others command such high prices for the 800 lenses.
(The other unique quality is that the lamps are situated on the inboard side
of the fixture, not centered, and the lenses have a corresponding pattern
molded into them. I don't really care about that aspect, however.) The last
time I saw a pair go on Ebay, it ended around $80, and that was a used,
slightly scratched set. I'm not paying that kind of money (or more) for two
pieces of plastic...

The aftermarket / sealed beam idea is one I'll look into. Maybe there's
something out there that will fit, or at least come close enough to work
with a *slight* enlargement of the hole. I'll start looking around. And
you're correct about the nibbler - any project which "mandates" a new tool
is a good thing! Erin, bless her heart, has never questioned that. I am a
"lucky dog", for certain.

I think I will send you a couple of pics, just in case you come across a
likely pair. I have this impression of Iowa boneyards that may be overblown,
but I think you are fortunate to be living there, in "Binder parts heaven".

Thanks,

John A.