[ihc] RE:Driveability (Idleability?) Issues

>Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:00:31 -0500
>From: Jim Camery <jcamery@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] Driveability (Idleability?) Issues

> * Has 727 auto.  Kickdown thing has never been hooked up.

Jim, what the other said on the surging. If your above statement is true,
this is *bad*. The 'kickdown' or throttle pressure rod on a 727 does more
than trigger a downshift:

"The problem I see most often is early, soft or slipping gears combined with
no full-throttle downshift. Remembering back to the section on valve bodies,
you'll recall that the throttle pressure rod coming from the carburetor
tells the transmission how firm and how late to shift depending upon
throttle position. Most often, the original carburetor has been changed on
the vehicle in question and the linkage has been disconnected or just left
off. This is one sure way to guarantee friction material wear and eventually
transmission failure. The throttle rod has to be hooked up and adjusted
correctly unless a special racing valve body has been installed"

This is from a very comprehensive treatise on the Torqueflite:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html

Jim