Re: [ihc] Marine Battery

On Aug 23, 2004, at 5:55 PM, Joseph Shaw, II wrote:

I thought I had heard of some people using the marine style ones and even
thinking it was better for some reason, but someone else said they thought the
cahrging/alternator qualities were different, and therefore, I could not use
it in a car.

Michael,

No problem with the Marine battery. Actually what they call a Marine Battery is a starting battery that is not as susceptible to damage from discharging as regular starting batteries. That still does not make them a true deep cycle fully suitable for RV use other than as a battery for the engine.

The marine battery typically has a lower rating for Cold Cranking Amps, but that isn't a problem as long as it's somewhere around 500 amps. On the good side, having the lower CCA rating SHOULD mean that it is more durable than regular batteries because of its construction.

More than you wanted to know.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline