RE: [ihc] Re: Hastings low oil pressure tip

Kurt and Larry, Thanks.

I hope you don't mind, but I'm copying your responses to each other and back
to the list. I really want to understand this one, and though your info is
helpful, it also adds to my confusion somewhat. In Kurt's two blocks,
there's either a hole, or there isn't. When there is a hole, and you use the
gasket with the matching hole, and you have low pressure, Hastings says to
plug the hole. (Perhaps the idea there is that an "un holed" gasket would
not hold the oil. That answers my gasket design question, I think.) Anyway,
you plug the hole in the filter base, and that somehow increases the oil
pressure. But in Larry's experience with the IH mechanic, he's reducing the
size of the hole, not eliminating it altogether. That makes sense to me, as
a means to increase pressure in the flow of oil, but plugging the hole
completely still baffles my poor brain.

Anybody else care to chime in on this?

Thanks...

John A.

One of the mechanics at the IH dealer told me to put a plug in > > the
return oil line at the filter and then drill a hole in it about half the
size of the original hole. Worked all the rest of the time we > had the
tractor.