Re: [ihc] old gasoline and old trucks...

On Aug 18, 2004, at 2:22 PM, Ryan Moore wrote:

Um, premium has a higher octane, which means it is harder to burn. It also
can be bad for engines that don't *need* the higher octane, like most small
engines. Right?

The carbon build up and all...

-Ryan
Out here in what used to be the big woods, but is now 3rd growth timber which is probably going to end up being designated Wilderness, we use a lot of chainsaws, trimmers, small engines and the like. Many of the manuals for those engines tell you not to use premium gas. My Husky chain saw came with a tag attached saying to only use regular gas.

So, like Ryan, I was surprised also at Steve's choice of gas.

By the way, I concede that the average mid-westerner and southerner mow more grass every week than the average west coater mows in a lifetime.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs