Re: [ihc] RE: 800 4 speed

At 8:06 AM 8/16/04, Jim Grammer wrote:
>>Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 22:54:50 -0600
>>From: "John M. Adams" <jma@domain.elided>
>>Subject: [ihc] RE: ihc-digest V7 #579
>
>>I have the '67 Scout 800, with the 196, T-14 / Warner T-90 3 speed, and
>Dana
>>20 T/C. I have an opportunity to get a 4 speed that was in a '79 Scout II
>>behind either a 304, or 345 (unknown, but was a V-8, he says). The question
>>is: would this tranny work in my setup without massive modifications? Would
>>I need a new bell housing? Will the D20 bolt up? I'm assuming this is the
>>T-19, or T-19A (?), but I haven't seen it yet. (Were there other 4 speeds
>in
>>'79?) Pardon the ignorance... just wondering if I should follow up on this,
>>or let it go. I don't want a 4 speed so bad that I'll take on a complicated
>>project just now, but if it's *easy*... Thanks for any help, ~John A.
>
>'79 is T-19, either 'wide' or 'close'. It will bolt up(with its bellhousing)
>to a 196, but in an 800 it will sit at a 15deg. tilt and the shifter will be
>*way* further back than stock. Tranny mount needs relocated as well. It has
>been done, but the proper T-18 w/bellhousing compensates for the tilt of the
>motor and is a bunch shorter.
>
>Jim

To do this with minimal machine work, you would need the input shaft from a
Scout 800 T-18 with the same ratios (this is a DROP in to a T-19), a Scout
800 T-18 bell housing, and a FORD T-19 case. Tranny mount and driveshafts
can remain unaltered. You will need to bolt the Scout TC adapter to the
Ford case and transfer punch/drill/tap the three bolt holes that aren't
there. (Three of the existing holes work.)

It is NOT difficult to modify the 3 speed bell housing to accept a
T-18/T-19 --bore the pilot hole larger and transfer punch and drill & tap
the mounting holes for the tranny/bell bolts. (The Ford and (4 cyl only)
Scout 800 Warner four speeds mount with bolts through 'ears' on the case,
not with studs into the front of the case.) Likewise, it is NOT difficult
to make the Ford T-19 input shaft work in this application.

You clearly are gonna need a Ford T-19 do do this conversion the easy way.
These are generally the wide ratio variety. Only parts you will really need
to use from the Scout T-19 are the mainshaft and TC adapter.

The D-20 will sit in precisely the same place as it does now if you do the
job this way.

Greg