Re: [ihc] Trusting homework

At 3:19 PM 8/7/04, Steven Stegmann wrote:
>Greg,
>
>Sounds like you know more details about Europe than I
>do.

I am one of those who believe that a requirement for ANY degree in
engineering should be about 12 semester hour credits on the HISTORY of
engineering. A great deal of this could replace the currently required
liberal 'political indoctrination' courses with ZERO harm, in fact quite a
GAIN to the overall value of the course curriculum !!

>I will make an observation about the engineering in MB
>cars.  I personally think any engineering problem is
>*much* easier to solve if you don't have to worry
>about how much you're spending on the solution.

What ELSE is new ?? :-)

>And, is it really better or do they just do a better
>job where we can see it.  I'm reminded of the MB
>diesel in which they increased the stroke but not the
>connecting rod length and at around 80-100k miles they
>wallow out the cylinder bores.  I guess they're just
>as cheap as anyone else.

I'm reminded of the Hanomag diesel in my loader. Originally had a pair of
dowel pins (for alignment) between the two halves of the (crank nose
driven, front cover mounted) oil pump. On the original design, it was
possible for one of the pins to worm its way out and fall into the
crankcase. No big deal, the mag drain plug would capture it, and the
suction screen wouldn't let it back into the pump the wrong way--EXCEPT
that the hole it left behind created an air leak on the suction side of the
pump !!! This led to NO oil to the engine at idle/low speed, and VERY
aerated oil when it was cranked up !!

On replacement pumps, they quietly fixed the problem. BUT--do you think
there was ever even a HINT of a service bulletin ??? :-)

This kind of thing can happen to ANYONE--but it does conflict pretty
strongly with their overall 'Ve are perfekt !!' attitude !!

In my days racing Alfas, the rule of thumb was that you could get an
equivalent part of slightly better design, material, and quality from Alfa
vis a vis porsche for consistently one third of the price !!

Greg