[ihc] Towing a scout with a scout? My impressions.

Flat towing a Scout II with a 1/2T Travelall AT, went fine from San Fran to
Tucson, hills and all, about 1200 miles.
Flat Towing a Scout II with a 3/4T Travelall 4spd, from Albuquerque to
Tucson, about 800 miles, total piece of cake.
Flat towing a Scout II with a Scout II , across town, downright scary.
Flat towing a Scout II with a Traveler AT, across town, ummm, a BIT better.
Flat towing a 1/2 Travelall with a 3/4T Travelall 4spd, across town,
marginal.
Flat Towing a 1/2T Travelall with a Scout II 4spd (emergency, doable, but
scary)

My trailer tare is about 2000#, 20'x8' wood deck, 4' tongue, 2 axle, both
have brakes.

Towing a 1/2 Travelall on my 20' flatbed with a 1/2T Travelall AT, about 60
miles no brakes, marginal/scary.
Towing a Scout II on the flatbed with a 1/2T Travelall AT, went fine with
brakes, a few hundred miles around AZ.
Towing a Scout II on flatbed with 1/2Travelall AT with no brakes, scary.
Towing a Scout II on the flatbed with 3/4T Travelall  Manual and no brakes,
marginal.
Towing a 95 Ford F-150 supercab on the flatbed with Traveler AT and brakes,
piece of cake. (250 miles)
Towing a 77 Ford F-250 supercab on the flatbed with Travelel AT and brakes,
piece of cake,
      except when it's raining with crosswinds, then you really have to pay
attention. (250 miles)
Towing a Traveler on the flatbed with a Traveler AT and brakes (200 miles),
piece of cake, just take it easy on the automatic.

So, the trailer with the brakes is totally the way to, hands down, done.
If the tow vehicle is smaller, just go slower, and pay attention.  So many
people I talk to
talk about the engine.  I ask them about the brakes.  Brakes?  Oh yeah,
brakes.
They often forget that part.

JoelB