Re: [ihc] Trailering weight..

At 7:23 AM 8/6/04, Steven Stegmann wrote:
>Jeff,
>
>Rant mode on.
>
>Just because it can move it down the road, doesn't
>make it safe.  I pull my 8000 lb / 30 ft travel
>trailer with my Scout.  Moves it fine, that truck
>running gear shows through.  But I'd never try to pull
>it on the highway.  I use the Scout as a tug boat in
>the yard.  Wheel base is 5 ft too short for the
>highway.

Did I ever relate the story about pulling a 38 foot flatbed trailer full of
river-rat gear from Steamboat to Cisco Bend, Utah ?? WITH A SCOUT 800A
(304) ??? :-) Teeheheheheeee---

(A trailer with a high polar moment of inertia about its yaw axis tends to
compensate for a lot of sins !!_)

>Having said that I wouldn't pull anything that big
>with less than a F250 Super or GM or Dodge equivalent,
>or older equivalent from IH (in suitable condition).
>These all can handle the weight and have the wheelbase
>length to do it safely.
>
>If you're just going a few miles, any engine will do.
>If you're going long distances there's nothing like
>the big diesels, but they're expensive.  I bought mine
>used.

The IH SV's will do every bit as well as the toy diesels they put in
pick-em-ups. If you're talking about a Cummins C (505 cid I-6) or triple
nickel V-8,  IH 9 liter V-8 or DT 466/530, or , of course, a Cummins 855,
then it's a different story. I think I'd even rather have an SV than either
a (utterly worthless) Cat 3208 OR a &*^%^ 'screamin' demon' Jimmy, except
mebbe an 8V93 !!!

Just as TM related, with the 1300 4x4, even though it's a bit shorter wb
than his Travellette, I have yet to find a trailer that it even knows is
behind it. Have to check the mirrors regularly to be sure it's still there.
Rear duallys make a HUGE difference when towing---as do 'real' truck tires
inflated to 70 psi or more (7.50x17 in the 1300's case).

I've never known the Krauts to build anything and import it here that was
worth a hoot in Hades for any sort of serious towing. This includes Moggies
(see: shift fork material=used tootsie roll!) . No reason to suspect that
the Tourareg is going to be an exception to their track record !! It
appears to be as much aimed at poseurs as the H-2  'hummer' is !!!
(Translates to total POS !)

(Since we're ranting !!)

Greg