[ihc] RE: That would be Grammer's radiator mounts...

>Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:03:14 -0700
>From: Joel M Brodsky <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] Grammer's fan mounts

>Jim,
>Just as an aside, with those McMaster rubber insulators (for your fan),
>aren't those designed for
>mounting machines, like fans, pumps and blowers?  Usually it's the weight
>of the machine bearing
>on the mounting.  In your instance, you're using the tension of the
>vulcanizing to hold the radiator, and
>in shear too, no-less.

>Is that a recommended mounting technique?  Eventually, won't those fail in
>tension and in shear and leave your
>radiator flailing dangerously in the hazard area?

Joel, good buddy, the catalog page that shows 9376K129( www.mcmaster.com )
has some interesting information about 'vibration damping mounts', including
the shear rating for mounts that are shear rated ;)

These particular mounts are good to 18# each in shear x 4 is 72#. A SII
radiator weighs what, 15#? Last time I filled a 3 core, it seems to have
taken about 1.5gal for the radiator alone, call it 2 x 8.33#/gal is 16.66# +
15#= 31.66#. 2.27 safety factor. Maybe not optimal, but Doug's been running
his for quite a while now with no problema. Guess it wouldn't hurt to take a
peek at them once in awhile, kinda like checking the oil? :)

Jim