Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:42:50 -0500
From: Howard R Pletcher <n9ads@domain.elided>
Subject: Re: [ihc] Goofy Diesel Questions

I don't  have any experience with a diesel swap into a Scout, but I
understand the diesel uses a SAE Type II bellhousing which is common in
larger trucks, but different from the Scout's.  Probably it would be
better to swap both the engine and transmission as the standard 727 auto
won't handle the torque of the diesel--although a 4 speed might be OK.

I have seen one 6.9L that went into a highly modified rock crawler,
probably the one mentioned by Jim G.  It should be possible in a stock
Scout.  IH did install an MV-404 gas engine (same basic block) in a Scout
as a test.  I have been told that unless you already know enough about
the electronic versions that you don't have to ask what to do to install
one, it's probably best to stick to the older 6.9/7.3s as the electronic
controls are so tightly integrated into the vehicle wiring it would not
be an easy conversion.

As far as other engines go, IH did test 4 diesels in the Scout before
selecting the NIssan SD-33 for production.  I think tthey tested a
Perkins, a Pugeot or Citroen (something French), and another one that I
don't recall.  I would think the smaller of the GM diesels might fit
fairly easily.

Howard