[ihc] Insulating David

>Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:53:30 -0400
>From: David Bongo <dbongo@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: [ihc] Rhino, Dynamat & Heat

>This sounds like a good, low-cost option.  But surely by now (cars have
>been around for about a century) the major auto manufacturers have
>settled on something good and cheap for new cars, which is designed to
>be in the engine compartment.

David, surely you are right. For example, my wife's Excursion has the turbo
mounted scant inches from the tranny hump, but you can't cook eggs on the
center console. There's some reflective stuff on the engine side, I suspect
it's something like this:

http://www.unifrax.com/Web/UnifraxHome.nsf/MarketSegments2/Automotive+Applic
ations-Heat+Shield+Insulations?OpenDocument

Whether that's consumer-available or 'cheap', I dunno.

Turning to trusty McMaster-Carr, search on 'thermal insulation'. There are a
number of candidates. Moldable high temp alumina looks like it would rock,
but it's bucks up. They have foil faced air pillow(AKA Reflectix) in several
thicknesses. Also available, foil faced poly foam(54495T55) and aluminum
faced PVC(9709T25)

There's a DeTomaso guy that recommends this stuff from West Marine:

http://mastercatalog04.westmarine.com/0393.asp

Jim