[ihc] Wyoming Trail Report, Cyclone Pass

Yesterday Tina, Audie, and I loaded up the Scout with a picnic lunch,
and with a fellow Scouter in tow we went to do the Shoshone Lake
trail. Our intended destination was Cyclone Pass. This trail starts
about 9 miles from Lander Wyoming.

The trail can be done with a mostly stock Scout or Scout II but
expect to shear off a u-bolt or two unless you have recessed u-bolt
hangers. About 2 miles of the 6 mile trail is solid Limestone cobbles
ranging from baseball to medicine ball size, they shift around and
kick up to destroy your under carriage. With my 4 inch lift and 33's
this is less of an issue. There are a couple of ledges to work your
way up-on, if you take the wrong line rocker and or body damage will
be had.  The ledges are the only spots where a locker would help
(took me a couple of stabs to get up on one with factory LS). The
wild flowers this time of year are outstanding with Sego Lilies,
Columbine, and many other flowers carpeting the meadows. We enjoyed
some moderate/hard wheeling, a view of the Southern end of the Wind
River Range that's hard to beat, and a nice picnic.

Carnage was limited to 3 sheared u-bolts on the scout with 2 inch
lift and 31's, and a rag joint on my rig that got me back to town but
just barely.  I have the Borgeson almost installed but have to wait
for my back to quit hurting.

The run to Cyclone Pass is a 4-4 1/2 hour round trip. If you continue
on to Shoshone Lake the trail is much more demanding with large often
wet boulders, I will save that trip for another report.

If you find yourself in the Lander area give me a shout, I may run up
to Cyclone or beyond with you. At any rate it is a great trail.

Willy

--
Willy Cunningham
Expedition Planning Department Head