[ihc] RE: Lighting the charge-less

>Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:51:36 -0700
>From: Joel M Brodsky <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
>Subject: [ihc] Votlage/Charge indicator status light

>Has anyone ever take a couple of diode and a shunt wire and added a
>reversed polarity diode with a bulb in series around an shunt resistor with
>a large diode so that when the system begins to draw current from the
>battery and use more current that the Alt can provide, it will light the
>bulb?

>What have been some other solutions for warning lights?

The 'OEM' style puts a bulb in series with the voltage sense wire, and
detects an 'out of balance' condition. Normal operation has the battery
voltage and alternator output voltage roughly equal, no current through the
light. Alternator output takes a dump, battery voltage lights the light.

I propose you construct a prototype of your proposed system in your free
time and report back to the group ;)

Jim