Re: [ihc] RE: Alternating

On Jul 22, 2004, at 9:27 AM, Jim Grammer wrote:

With the voltage sensing connected to an appropriate location, it doesn't
appear that running an idiot light in the ignition switched lead would
reduce charging voltage. Thoughts?

Jim
I don't know Jim. But, I can tell you that by controlling the one variable, the field wire, my voltage output went from about 13.6 volts to about 14.4 volts.

I already had a good close source of sensing voltage. By the way, some guys such as our Tom M. pick up their sensing voltage at the output terminal on the alternator.

I have no idea of what the resistance of the stock field wire was, I do know that it was 24 gauge, nor do I know the resistance of an idiot light bulb, nor am I sure I could do anything significant with the numbers even if I did, nor am I sure that .......

I could do an experiment by putting a bulb in series with my existing field wire, but I probably won't get around to it.

I think I know that IH used the resistance field wire to control the voltage at about 13.6 volts.

I'm going to buy some heat shrink tubing from Mad, and that should let me ask Mark a couple of these questions.

John

John Hofstetter
Ol' Saline
www.goldrush.com/~hofs