New and improve! with *more* IH content! Re: [ihc] Ohio vehicle recovery assistance (minimal IH content)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M Brodsky" <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>
To: <ihc@domain.elided>
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2004 12:24
Subject: [ihc] Ohio vehicle recovery assistance (minimal IH content)

> Granted: about the only IH content here is that I usually drive IHs.
>
> I bought a car in Ohio that is in questionable running condition.  It's a
> Turbo Volvo Wagon.
> Anyway, I was thinking that I'll pick it up in Columbus when I come out
> there for the Nats and
> drive it home to AZ taking an extra two days to get home.  So, the owner
> tells me that the car
> sometimes, just quits.  Well, my Volvo has been doing that for years and
> it's an oxygen sensor, and
> it's not too big of a deal to me, and it's $170, so I've left it alone.
>
> Now, when I pick up the car, I might need to borrow some tools and
possibly
> some space to cobble
> this car together for the ride home to AZ (1900 miles).
>
> Anyone equal to the task?  Compensation provided.  IH parts-a-plenty
> offered for trade too!
>
> Thanks gang!
>
> JoelB
>
> (Isn't this how our very own Michael Shaw usually does it?)

I've got space I can find for you if you want to detour through TN or GA ;)

Are you flying out to drive back?  If I by some miracle somehow make it to
nats, I'll have tools a plenty in the back of the scout you could use if you
dont' mind parking lot work.  My standard fit of tools is more than some
people have in their garage...   making it to nats is still highly
questionable unfortunately.  I won't know until the 3rd week of august if
the schedule *might* permit it, and then it won't be definate.  If I make
it, it'll be fairly last minute unfortunately.  I still mention this
however, because someone else might be more definate in going and be
bringing similiar tools.  If I make it though, you'll be welcome to anything
I have availible.  That also saves you from donating parts (at least if I
make it and you use my junk).

I imagine you'll need a lot of metric stuff (eww).

On that note, it's been a while since I mentioned this on list...   I'm
committed right now to buying a 1310 4x4 travelette out of WI.  This leaves
me a problem like joel has, except a bit worse.... the truck hasn't been on
the road in at least 10 years and hasn't driven at all in at least 5.  It's
a longbox dually so arranging transport has been "fun" to say the least.  I
had a guy eager to do it for $400, but he went and broke his truck, and it's
questionable whether he'll get the problem figured out in time to help me
out now.

[break from post]
That reminds me, anyone with hydraulic clutch experience.  What can cause
the pedal to get really stiff?  They've replaced the clutch, the slave
cylinder and keep replacing the master (the problem is it is so stiff it
keeps blowing out the m/c for the clutch).  They won't replace the master
again until they get the problem *fixed* so it won't keep happening.
[/break from post]

Anyone with a desire to move a fairly large IH from southern WI to GA?
Todd, the guy I got to move two certain large B series trucks (I tagged
along to give him some company and help) doesn't want to move anything that
heavy again (especially twice as far), and the 1310 is very possibly
heavier... he *does* want to go with me up there, spend a few days to get it
running and drive the monster back to GA, flat towing a scout behind it.
Now, the traveler did come with a tow bar (or did the tow bar come with a
traveler?), but I still am very weary of that method of moving a truck 900
miles...  the current owner indicated he wouldn't be surprised if it didn't
make it out of the drivway...  I figure that with a 55 gallon drum for a
fuel tank, an electric fuel pump and a "fresh" carb, it might be ok, but
man... I still don't like that idea.

Hey Joel, have you thought about the "u-haul truck as an auto transport"
approach?

-Ryan

---