Re: [ihc] Things that whine that shouldn't / RMIHR Pictures

Dan Nees wrote:
Reapers,
   As all of you know our trucks all make sounds. There are the good
sounds, and there are the "I-can-live-with-it" sounds, then there are
the BAD sounds.
   Note to digest, when you no longer have fluid in your rear, you will
start to get some of those sounds merging together.
I trailered my grey '77 "Tigger" down to RMIHR.. commuted from the Hotel to the Show for a few days, did the RTI, raced in the arena a bit.. then loaded up and trailered it to Moab for a little fun.

I'd noticed the Dana 20 leaking for some time, but hadn't planned on driving the Scout much anyhow, and it had been leaking for a LONG time with no apparent ill effect.

Of course, I was reminded of this drip-drip phenomenon as we loaded up the cooler with ice and water, put 20-some gallons of expensive fuel in the tank, put the top down, bikini up, and Michelle and I headed out into the desert around Moab to play in 4-low for a bit..

After 30 or so miles of 45+mph cruising, first down the paved highway, then down some decent gravel and dirt roads.. just as I was starting to think, "Putting shocks on the Scout was a good idea.." we start to hear rumble unlike the usual Swamper rumble, or door rattles, or exhaust rumble.

This one is like a U-joint about to let go.. but they're all tight.

Michelle, being the smart woman she is (her agreement to marry me being her one moment of indiscretion) suggested we turn back (I was planning the same thing at that moment).. NEVER even having touched the "4-low" knob once. :(

Yes, a Scout will go 30 or so miles with a shot rear output bearing in the Dana 20. Yes, it's loud and annoying, but it beats walking and trying to carry the cooler with you.

We loaded the Scout back on the trailer - I guess I did get to use 4-low at that point - and unhitched the Travelette to tool around town for a bit.

So much for Moab wheelin' this year... and we brought the *wheelin'* Scout, too. :(

Got some pictures from RMIHR and Moab up... (as well as the earlier BinderBash stuff)

http://tigger.tmcom.com/~tsm1/gallery/2004Vacations